Screenshots will be helpful for quite a lot of causes. For instance, you’ll be able to ship copies of error messages to assist companies, present a pal what your sport display seems to be like, or save a tweet that you simply suspect goes to be deleted in a couple of minutes. Today’s laptops all embrace methods to take screenshots, and that features Chromebooks.
Chromebooks is usually a little complicated for somebody coming from one other platform, particularly as a result of their keyboards are considerably totally different than these of Macs or Windows PCs. Some keys current on different laptops are lacking whereas new ones have been added. Luckily, there are two methods to take screenshots on Chromebooks: both through the use of key mixtures or through the use of the Quick Settings pop-up. And you’ll be able to even take a display recording and add a selfie.
Screenshots by way of the Quick Settings menu
- Click on the clock within the lower-right nook of your display. This will convey up your Quick Settings menu.
- Click on the Screen Capture icon. (It seems to be like a circle in a sq..)
You’ll get a small menu on the backside of the display with a number of icons. From left to proper, they’ll embrace:
- Screenshot (for nonetheless captures)
- Screen report (for video captures)
- Take full-screen screenshot
- Take partial screenshot (a crosshair icon will seem; click on and drag it till the a part of the display you need to copy is highlighted after which click on on the Capture button within the heart of your screenshot).
- Take home windows screenshot (for a single window)
If you click on on the Settings icon, you’ll be able to modify your audio enter, resolve whether or not your mic ought to be reside, and choose the folder that you simply need to save your screenshots or recordings to.
Using the keyboard
A quicker technique to take a screenshot is through the use of key mixtures.
If you’re fortunate, your Chromebook may have a Screenshot key (which seems to be like a small circle inside a sq.). If that’s the case, properly, you’re set.
Otherwise, a fast technique to take a screenshot of all the display is to make use of the Ctrl + Show home windows key mixture. The “Show windows” key, which seems to be like a rectangle with two strains on the best facet, is on the highest row of the keyboard. (It’s the equal of the F5 key on a PC keyboard.)
- Otherwise, if you’d like some selections, press the Shift + Ctrl + Show home windows keys to get the identical menu that you simply’d get by going into the Quick Settings menu.
Save and edit your screenshot
After you’ve taken the screenshot, a duplicate of the screenshot will seem in a pop-out window simply above the Quick Settings menu. Click on it to point out it within the folder. Any screenshot you’re taking will mechanically find yourself within the Downloads folder — however you’ll be able to change which folder you need to reserve it to by way of the Settings button within the Screen Capture menu.
You may click on on the Edit or Delete buttons. The Edit button will take you to a reasonably helpful app that permits you to carry out such primary duties as cropping and rotating, rescaling, annotating, or tweaking the lighting.
Record with narration
If you’re recording a display for someone else and need to add narration, with or with no small selfie, it’s very simple. (Note: this can solely work for video recording, not for nonetheless screenshots.) On your Chromebook:
- Press the Shift + Ctrl + Show home windows keys.
- In the pop-up menu on the backside, choose the video icon (second from left) and resolve whether or not you need to report the complete display, a portion of the display, or a selected window.
- Select the Task icon (the cog). Under the Audio enter subhead, choose Microphone to report audio whilst you’re making your display video.
- If you additionally need to present a selfie of your self talking, choose Front Camera. You’ll instantly see a spherical video window within the bottom-right nook of the world that you simply’re going to report displaying whoever is earlier than the pc’s entrance digital camera.
- Click anyplace inside your recording space. You’ll get a countdown from three, and recording will start.
- To cease recording, click on on the pink recording spot within the backside proper of your shelf.
Update January ninth, 2023, 4:23PM ET: This article was initially printed on January 14th, 2020, and has been up to date to account for adjustments within the OS and so as to add details about recording with narration.